[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Don't Try This

  Date:
        Sat, 12 Apr 1997 12:07:05 +0300
  From:
        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 10:31 AM 4/10/97 -0500, you wrote:

>        Re: Don't Try This
>  Date:
>        Tue, 8 Apr 1997 04:49:35 -0700
>  From:
>        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>    To:
>        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>

>Gary:
>
>The device you have created is not a Tesla coil.  It is called a
>Cockraft-Walton voltage multiplier.  It was first used to develop 600 KV
>back in 1939 to achieve the first atomic transmutation of the element
>lithium.  It is similar to a Marx generator but different in a few
>points.
>It can provide a continuous and well regulated output, and it does not
>use
>sparkgaps as switches -- the diodes act as high speed switches to
>connect
>the caps in series.
>
>It was developed by a Mr. Cockraft and Mr. Walton and named in their
>honor.
>
>If you repair your unit I suggest wiring a 500K 20 watt resistor in
>series
>with the output.  Also used another dampening device such as a 500
>microHenry inductor -- also in series with the output.  That will keep
>your
>diodes from frying in the event of any short circuit.
>
>Good luck and be careful -- charged HV caps are killers.  Even when
>discharged end to end the center caps in the group will still retain
>enough
>charge to zap you --- I also discovered this the hard way in my younger
>days.   Yes --- coilin' is safer.
>
>DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net
>

>----------
>> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Don't Try This
>> Date: Sunday,April 06,1997 5:54 PM
>>
>> Subject:
>>         Don't Try This
>>   Date:
>>         Sun, 06 Apr 1997 12:54:02 -0700
>>   From:
>>         Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>>     To:
>>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>>

>> Today while going threw some old papers I found a Xerox copy of a Tesla
>> Coil
>> that uses a voltage multiplyer instead of a neon transformer.  It uses
>> 10
>> diodes and 10 capacitors.  The diodes are 1N4007 and the caps are .001
>> uf
>> 1000 volts.  The circuit suggests using an old TV transformer about 800
>> volts for the voltage multiplyer circuit. The voltage multiplyer
>> discharges
>> threw the spark gap across the LC circuit and the secondary coil output
>> is
>> suppost to be 8" to 10".
>>
>> I decided to build it and try it.  If it works I will build the TC into
>> nice little unit and put it on my desk at work. I looked threw my parts
> [...]

The circuit is called a cascade voltage doubler , right ?
If this is what you mean, these are used in the triplers
in tv sets.
If I build one of these with 27 1uf caps  and 27 doides, from
a 220v supply I'd get 7500vdc on the output.
How much current can this supply ? can I use this
to power a tesla ? if so this makes things much simpler than using
an xf.
some of you guys reacted negatively on this so can someone
give a final answer, is this good or not ?
Kenneth
e-mail   -  kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
homepage -  http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/