[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Opt. Qnch. update--loss of synergism

Subject:
        Opt. Qnch. update--loss of synergism
  Date:
        Wed, 9 Apr 1997 17:35:35 -0400 (EDT)
  From:
        FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

All,

Still using the 12kV, 30mA neon trans, I replaced the 4" x 17" toroid
with a
5" x 20" toroid, spark length was about the same, but was dimmer and
tamer in
appearance.  The sparks from the smaller toroid looked a lot fiercer and
better.  The sparks emitted from only one point, at any k value, if a
toroid
director "bump" was used (have to verify this).  At k = .18, I  got
racing
sparks.  Quenching still occured on the second notch.

Next I installed a 15kV, 60ma neon trans, capacitor was still .007uF.
 Ammeter showed 4.5A at 240V  (1080VA) input.  5" x 20" toroid was used
and
multiple streamers emitted at higher k values.  Sparks were at least 42"
long, but could not hit 47".  Sparks were longest at low k values, since
low
k resulted in the formation of only one streamer.   Quenching was not
monitored.  At this higher voltage, sparks sometimes bypass some
electrodes
in my sync-gap, which will require a redesign.

A quick test was done (15kV, 60ma neon) using a .014uF cap.  Multiple
streamers are formed at all k values, sparks are at least 52" long, and
ammeter shows 10A at 240 volts (2400VA) input (resonant charging).  A
few
folks on the list have stated that they commonly see these high current
draws
in neon sign transformers due to resonant charging, but I believe that
before
I rebuilt it, and with a similar capacitor, it drew a lot less current.
The
quench was failing at this power level, as evidenced by racing sparks,
and
streamers which weakened after 10 seconds or so;  a rotary gap redesign
will
be needed before experiments can continue.

Despite the problems with the set-up, I tried using a 6" by 26" toroid,
retuned at 28 turns on pri. and kept everything else the same.  Still
drew
2400VA but gave at least a 56" spark.  Streamers emit from only one
point.
 Quenching seemed better, probably due to greater streamer loading.
Measured
k = .11.   Secondary  is 2 3/4" above the primary

Redesigned my sync-gap by removing 4 of the spinning and fixed
electrodes to
prevent the "bypassing of gaps" that was occuring.  Runs a lot smoother,
but
sparks look about the same length.  Draws less power (8 A at 240 V) but
have to verify the sync-gap phase for best output.  A second streamer
sometimes forms after the coil runs awhile.  Sparks occasionally loop
down
and strike the primary.

Adjusted sync-gap phase for more power input, now neon trans draws 11A
at 240
V, (2640 VA), multiple streamers are produced, and sparks reach 65"+.  I
tried adding external ballast to this 15kV, 60ma neon trans, but it
still
draws a lot of power, and sparks are greatly weakened.  In general,
quenching
occurs on the second notch, but moves to the third notch when a streamer
strikes a ground.

Synergy, where are you?
---------
And a question for Skip.... How many microseconds does it take for your
free
ringdown to decay to 10% when first notch quenching occurs in your
system?
      Thanks.
---------
John Freau