[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mysteries to a newcomer

  Date:
        Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:20:37 -0400 (EDT)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 06:53 PM 4/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:
>        Mysteries to a newcomer
>  Date:
>        Mon, 7 Apr 97 16:28:17 EDT
>  From:
>        Gary Lau 07-Apr-1997 1627 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
>    To:
>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>    CC:
>        lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com
>

>Greetings,
>
>I've been monitoring this list traffic for about 2 months and am nearly
>ready
>to act upon building my first coil.  I suppose there will always be
>some, but
>there are a few mysteries I'd like to understand before I begin:
>
>What are oil burner ignition transformers rated?

10KV -at- 23 ma normally, but not all.  R.H.

 (I've already got some
>and I'm
>not looking to set records, 12"-18" sparks would be great.)  Would 2 in
>parallel
>be better than one?

Always!!  R.H.

 Are neon transformers significantly preferable?

No, not at the entry level.  R.H.

>If one starts with a acquiring a HV xfmr, it would seem that the rest of
>the
>system parameters should be derived starting with this.  How does one
>map HV
>xfmr parameters into tank/primary and secondary parameters?  I
>understand the
>required relationships between pri & sec parameters and resonant
>frequencies,
>but I'm unclear on what the sequence of parameter selection is:
>HV xfmr -> Cap value -> ??? -> ???

Most begin to build from the first major component they acquire.  This
is
invariably the transformer.  R.H.

>I've heard vague advice on this list relating xfmr size to cap uF
>value.  What
>is this relationship?

Lots of conflict here.  I use a .005uf cap for 15KV-at-30ma as a guide
line.
This is based on matching the impeadance of the transformer's secondary
with
that of the capacitor.  R.H.

>Is a variac necessary?   No  R.H.

>How vital is a dedicated earth ground, as opposed to using the cold
>water pipe
>leaving my basement?

If you pipes are in the ground (earth) then use it.  On real small
systems,
a solid ground is almost irrelevant.  R. Hull, TCBOR