[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quench Tests

  Date:
        Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:44:50 -0400 (EDT)
  From:
        FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> Hi John Freau,
 >                  Which method did you use to measure your k's in the
> recent experiments?

> Thanks,
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I measured the pri and sec in series in both aiding and bucking
arrangements,
and then calculated the mutual inductance, and then the k value, using
the
appropriate formulas.   Most of the k values I posted were approx.
because, I
didn't remeasure the k after each successful k "position" of the sec,
but
instead interpolated from previously made k measurements.

BTW,  I observed my quenching using a better quality scope, and I can
now see
that I am actually quenching on the second notch, not the first.  This
explains the anomalously short (and linear) "ringdown" (actually the
excursion towards the notch) I was seeing, the (low amplitude) true
ringdown
had been "lost in the noise" in the old scope.   Sorry about the
confusion.

Regards,

John Freau