[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

carbon gaps

>A carbon arc will restrike after power has been shut off for ~2
>seconds without having to touch the electrodes together again. This
>will foil any attempt to quench your spark gap.

>I might be fun to see if a negative resistance oscillator could be set
>up using the carbon arc as an active element. Has any one tried this?
	Sure.  Much of early wireless used arc transmitters.  Work fine.
	(OK:  A tad noisy by modern standards.  8)>>)

	One of the earliest 'true cw' transmitters.

	These were separate/distinct from a spark (gap) transmitter.  ARC
	and SPARK are different critters.  The ARC transmitters were/are
	capable of voice broadcasting.

	(Interesting thought, actually, use an ARC RF source as a 'driver'
	for a tesla secondary....  Needs a whole differnt PS technology:
	low volts, lots n lots a amps...)   My GUESS is that spark excitation
	is more 'efficient' for tesla-type work.

	regards
	dwp