[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Beating Solved

This caught my eye....

> It's an 8-electrode, 1800-RPM sync. gap. I get 240 BPS out of it as it
> sits, so that's 4 breaks per single AC cycle, or 2 per half cycle. BTW -
> I just calculated out the dwell time, and I get about 40 uS, which
> is a bit too long. Details from the Corum Brothers suggest that I will
> do better with about a 20uS dwell, which I will get when I switch over
> to a 3600-RPM sync. motor. Will boost the BPS to 480 as well. Hopefully
> I'll get a bit hotter spark out of it!

The optimum dwell time for a coil is approx:  Tdwell = 1/2*k*Fr
I would say that if your dwell is currently 40uS and the optimum is
20uS, it is currently exactly wrong.
    However, it doesn't actually matter a great deal if the coil is
throwing attached sparks since the loss of sec. energy prevents the
energy returning to the primary and assists quenching (by proxy).

Malcolm