[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Quoting Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>:

> Congrats on the pending new addition to your family of pigs!

Thanks!

> You also still have your 23 KV beast don't you?

Yup. I run that in a Jacob's Ladder when the other pig(s) are
wired up for coils.

> Your last post brought up an interesting thought. After getting
> my pig (a 10 KVA, 19.9 KV animal that stands 44" high including
> the 11" HV bushings and weighs 350 lb.), I've noticed that the
> physical size of these things don't seem to correlate very well
> with the KVA rating.

Not hardly. These things are way under rated in their commercial
application. Even the utilities know this. Figure a pig will
handle about twice the plate rating on a continous basis, and
three times the plate rating for high demand periods. Knowing
this the utility co. is not going to spend money on a larger unit
when a smaller unit will handily survive peak demand periods.

Put this into a Tesla coil application and you will never see any
temperature rise at all given our duty cycles.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12