[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

[snip from Bert's post on the relative sizes of pigs]
>Congrats on the pending new addition to your family of pigs! You also
>still have your 23 KV beast don't you?  Your last post brought up an
>interesting thought. After getting my pig (a 10 KVA, 19.9 KV animal that
>stands 44" high including the 11" HV bushings and weighs 350 lb.), I've
>noticed that the physical size of these things don't seem to correlate
>very well with the KVA rating. My wife complains that I keep on looking
>up at utility poles while I'm driving, but my limited research has
>revealed that pigs in a housing the size of mine run up to at least 75
>KVA with no fins (!), and smaller ones I've seen run up to at least 50
>KVA. The weight of your 25 KVA animals sounds like is about the SAME as
>my 10 KVA beast.
>
>-- Bert --

Ha!  I'm also constantly looking upwards while driving, eyeing things like big
PFC caps and other types of pigs.  One of these days I'll probably drive right
into a utility pole!  That's interesting about the weight of your 10kVA pig.
I've got a 5kVA 14.4kV pig as well as a 15kVA 19.9kV one.  The 5kVA one is
almost as big as the 15kVA one, however the 15kVA unit is _much_ heavier.  I'm
not sure of the exact weights, but I know when they're not on carts I can
barely budge the 15kVA, while the 5kVA can be tugged across the floor (good way
to thow out your back!).  I've seen a couple of different can types used for
pigs with the same rating.  My guess is that since the core is so small
compared to the can, you can probably fit a fairly wide range on kVA ratings in
similar sized cans before needing to go to fins and such.  Still doesn't really
explain the weight question though.

>It now makes me wonder if I should have spec'ed a larger KVA
>rating since it seems that the cost, size, and weight is about the same,
>and TC performance MAY be more stable. Maybe I really have a 25 in
>disguise(?)!

When I priced pigs at T&R a while ago, higher kVA ratings equated to higher
prices as one might expect.  For instance a 25kVA 23kV pig was about $200 more
than my 15kVA 19.9kv pig.  Granted the voltages are slightly different, but I
would expect the prices to be in the same ballpark.

Lastly, speaking of fins.  Yesterday I saw some of the largest pigs I've ever
seen.  These things were _very_ tall, and had stacks of those big oil
circulating heat sinks.  I think they were feeding a new development, but I
couldn't really see as we drove by.  Very serious power though!

Charles Brush