[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paper Capacitors

Tesla List wrote:

> >From SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-comMon Sep  9 22:50:19 1996
> Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 08:15:14 -0400
> From: SSNSanders-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Paper Capacitors

> <<
>  Did you seal your salt water caps with an barrier oil before you had
>  this corona discharge? I have not witnessed this in my caps. If you
>  haven't used the oil then try that and see if it stops.
>   >>
> Didnt use oil, It wasnt exactly a definite arc, just a density of corona and
> a loud WHAP-buzz WHAP. It did this after a short run time and the salt was
> beginning to crystalize a little. Salt water caps are a good demo of raw
> power, I dont like to even get near them when the power is on, very
> impressive to be crude devices.  Steve

All,
	I've seen some listings from Richard Hull and others in regards
to using the correct glass for Salt water caps. My cap from College
days, was made from an old Pyrex medicine jar with a narrow mouth. But,
recently, I've also made some caps from Wine coolers. Besides differing
dimensions and glass thickness, the K of the glass is about the same.
(I've measured the caps with an LCR meter and checked my results with
cap calculations using assumed K factors.).

	At the same time I've heard that Borosylicate and other
types of glass have different K characteristics. What type of glass
or bottle should a coiler use?

	I currently use three commercial .01uF HV caps. But, still
use salt water caps for RFI filtering. I'm not worried about the lossey
nature of these caps. All I want is a convient sponge.

D. Gowin