[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ground rods

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> > I have a few questions about grounding. I have access to 8ft.
> > sections of Stainless Steel Tubing (free) would this work for
> > ground rods. I know Copper (not free) is best.
>
> Stainless steel is an excellent choice. You can't get any
> grounding rods cheaper than free, so get a few.

It appears that brass is quite cheap.. I did some grounding by
acquiring brass tubes about 40mm outer dia and 5mm wall thickness
and then used a solid steel rod inside the brass - it was easy
(=possible) to hammer the rod to soil. Of course, anything free
is better as you can use N+1 rods.. :)

> before and abandoned the effort when I realized I would have to
> dig a hole just to get started. There was no way to stand an 8
> foot rod up and still have room to swing a hammer on top.

It's easy (=possible) to get very deep ground-rod installations..
First there are commercial (=expensive) groundrods that can be
connected together so that after hammering first you add second
to the first, hammer, add third etc. etc.. The amateur equivalent
would be to weld another groundrod to the end of the already
installed etc. etc.. Especially with stainless steel it will
be easy to weld the tubes/rods together.

> 020 603 HF point   $3.25     steel slug w/ tungsten face, 4/base

Something to consider for a RSG with a need of 64 electrodes.. :)
Of course, stainless steel will do as a cheap replacement material
and is a lot easier to work with..

Kristian Ukkonen.