[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inductor question

For what it's worth:
	I have an adjustable ballast for mercury vapor lamps
here which uses an E-I core which is held in a cast frame such
that the air gap can be adjusted by moving nuts on a pair of
bolts at the side of the frame.  Seems to me an arrangement like
that would work real well.  Get a big enough transformer core,
put enough turns on it to withstand the maximum voltage you
expect across it, and then open up the air gap and "tune for
maximum good".  Once the right gap was found you could cut some
insulating material of the same thickeness, and then tighten up
the bolts until the humming wasn't too bad.........
Ed