[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pipe scraps

Tesla List wrote:

> >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comSat Sep 21 12:24:49 1996
> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 12:19:22 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Pipe scraps
>

> Re: "My family looks at me with awe as I make funny sounds when driving by
> new street construction sites.  They always have big piles of 20'
> lengths of PVC sewer pipe---anything from 6" through 24".  It always
> makes me think of that really big diameter coil form!!"
>         Me too!!!!!   Often, by the way, you will find scraps left
> lying around and those are surely fair game for scrounging!
> Ed Phillips
> <<<
>
> I've seen these but hesitated to scrounge them because of being afraid of
> the dreaded PVC RF dissipation.  Should I just not worry about the
> material and use them because of the great shape?
>
> Chip

Chip,

Just use them! Pre-treat the PVC to reduce the moisture absorbtion - the
impact of using thicker PVC on coil Q is minimal (especially when the
toroid discharge reduces the Q of the coil to the 10-20 range). You'll
be hard pressed to tell ANY performance difference between schedule 20
vs 80.

-- Bert --