[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Jim Fosse said (in response to a post from Richard Quick):

<Big Snip of prior posts>

> With an externally ballasted system, this effect is between the
> ballast inductor and the primary capacitance and probably between the
> PFC and the ballast also.
>
> However, given Richards 1.5 second delay factor, I would look for an
> interaction between the PFC caps and the ballast and variac also.
> Try removing most of your PFC caps and see if there is a significant
> change in the time constant or behavior of the system. Don't remove
> all of the PFCs because they prevent the voltage spikes from the
> ballast from blowing your RFI filters and home electronics.

Richard,

I don't remember your pig-based system using any PFC's, although some of
your early writings did suggest their use in conjunction with neons to
keep overall current draw down. Based upon some of the work that Jim has
done, plus your comments regarding lag in responsiveness, it would
appear that the use of PFC's could help "neutralize" much of the
inductive lag without increasing real power dissipation. PFC's MAY also
help suppress nasty voltage spikes from getting back into your (and your
neighbors') mains.

I'm thinking about adding as much as 250 uF of fused PFC correction to
help counteract the inductive reactance of my ballast & pig AND to
hopefully keep me from blowing up all the other electronic goodies tied
to the mains.

Any thoughts??

-- Bert --