[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

>The rating depends on the film thickness, cleanliness, and
>quality of construction. If you are using 60 mil LDPE under oil
>and everything is spotless you can get a reliable cap that will
>hold up with 9-10KVAC inputs into a spark excited tank circuit.
>Thinner films will hold up to proportionally higher voltages
>(I know this sounds backwards, but it is quite true), but a tiny
>flaw, speck, or air bubble will cause failure, and thinner
>dielectrics are more difficult to work with. Capacitor types,
>construction, and characteristics are constantly discussed here:
>keep you ears open.

 That really does sound backwards to how I though dilerectric strength
worked - Could you explain this in more detail ?

  BTW, as long as were talking about LDPE, is there much of a difference
(for cap use) between LDPE and HDPE ? Are their properties about the
same ?

Thanks,
Chris
|Chris Cudahy             | B.SC. CS/Math - getting there|
|ccudahy-at-calumet.yorku.ca | Swim Bike Run Colapse        |
|http://www-home.calumet.yorku.ca/ccudahy/www/home.htm   |