[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: scopes away - mosfet circuits

Richard wrote:

> I have always maintained that a
>doubling of input power by the most advanced coil expert (beyond 10KW) will
only yield >25% more
>spark.  I further believe that even this ratio drops rapidly above 40KW!

I had anticipated an inverse square law to power / spark length, the extra
energy
has to make extra voltage and extra current. Inverse cube is bad news :-( but
there's no
arguement with experience and a reasonable mechanism - ionised air.

I do have another trick though, I control the power by switching at 60HZ
with a varying pulse lenght. I hope to pack more energy into each pulse
and reduce the pulse length (to keep the smoke under control).
See where it goes.

Richard - was very interested to see that your X10 magnifier was
such a small coil. I had assumed that I needed larger diameters
and heavier wires and that was the direction to go. I must try out
one of these little coils as a FET magnifier - though maybe with
a slightly smaller toroid :)

Barry wrote:

>I am also attempting to build a mosfet driver system.  Any help i.e.
>experience or schematics would be greatly appreciated.

My circuit is very similar to Rob's circuit - same PWM chip.
But I use a pushpull configuration instead of a half bridge.
If I was starting from scratch now I'd use Rob's circuit.

My present design has got a couple of quirks that I
hope to get straightened out on the Mark II - weird
feedbacks in the current limiting loop which I work
around.

Rob's circuit is posted in Web land -
ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/misc
you want driver.gif and driver.doc
check out the other pics while you are there.

Rob's coil didn't have a toroid - I'm sure that a modest
toroid would up the spark length by at least 50%.

Have fun

Alan Sharp.