[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Quoting Bert:

> Richard - I can't believe you would admit defeat at anything
> having to do with Tesla coils! :?) Many of us have come
> through the ranks of being observers, lurkers, and finally
> TCBA members and coilers with your help. The LAST thing your
> well-written posts do is put me to sleep!

Well perhaps defeat is a little strong. Next time I will wash them
and put on clean socks :-)   Thanks for the complements!

Actually this gives me the justification to tell the wife I need to
spend more money!

I wrote:

 > 1) Pros and cons on: a) plunking down $335 for a 14,400 10KVA pig
 > and using that for the standard lab supply; b) plunking down a
 > similar amount for another 7200 volt pig and running two pigs
 > with the HV windings in series to get the 14,400 volts needed.

Then Bert:

> I'd recommend option A, unless you want to run at SUBSTANTIALLY
> higher than 10 - 15 KVA power levels. At these power levels, a
> single 14.4 KV pig would give you the same performance in less
> than half the space. The ONLY reason to consider option B is if
> you really wanted to explore the 20 - 30 KVA realm.

Maybe, maybe not. I opted to go ahead and purchase a single bushing
25 KVA 7200-120/240v pig to match my first. The price was a bit more
than I would have liked, but this way I was able to match core specs
to my existing pig and not have to worry about any problems. I could
have purchased a two bushing 10 KVA 14,400-120/240 for less, but
another thought entered my mind: I am a balance fiend, and the 50KVA
of inductance in my lab will match the 50KVA of inductance on the pad
that supplies our little corner of the neighborhood. Also, I actually
like the feel of the heavier cores (provided they are not run while
saturated) when coiling. They add a sturdy feel to the system, the
coil does not "pull" the power supply around, and they are efficient
enough that the idle current at the rated voltage is not noticeable
in my controls. Space is not really a problem, I have a sturdy engine
cart that will carry two cans and rolls around easily enough. Total
weight will be 750 pounds.

Soooo. A good chunk of my check, not to mention my August bonus, went
out in the mail earlier today...

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12