[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big conical TC

Tesla List wrote:

> >From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comSat Sep  7 09:30:35 1996
> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 20:00:19 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Big conical TC
>
> I believe that Bert Hickman asked if there are any big conical TCs
> around. Some time ago I believe I was at the Palomar Observatory in the
> Los Angeles area and visited the museum which was at the site on top of
> the mountain. They had a conical TC which if memory serves me was about
> 6' or 7' tall. I believe it was 1/2 of a two coil system. Also again if
> memory serves me I think the single coil which was on display put out
> about 10" sparks. Sorry I don't have more info. Perhaps someone else is
> familiar with this coil and can tell us if it still exists and more
> importantly, if it still works.
>
> Skip

Skip,

The full story on this coil is in an old issue of the TCBA News.  The
coil was originally part of a mathched two coil system which I believe
Transtrom used to use in the 20's.  Ultimately, they wound up in the
museum in California.  Like all old Museum coils i.e. (Kaufmann coil)
The performance of these behemouths is atrocious, especially with their
original components.  Both have been upgraded a bit with modern pulse
caps, rotaries etc. and perform better, but the coils are ultra high loss
and are suffering at the hands of the improved tank components.  A good
Wysock museum coil will out perform these old monsters by a factor of ten
on power transfer.

Richard Hull, TCBOR