[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paper Capacitors

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject:       Re: Paper Capacitors
> > > Subject: Re: Paper Capacitors
> > > Subject: Re: Salt water caps, was earth resonance
>
> >From i541771-at-imsday-dot-comSat Sep  7 09:37:34 1996
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:36:13 +0000
> From: Chris Singletary <i541771-at-imsday-dot-com>
> Reply to: single-at-imsday-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Paper Capacitors
>
> > Date:          Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:25:28 -0600
> > From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> > To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> > Subject:       Re: Paper Capacitors
>
> > > Subject: Re: Paper Capacitors
> > > Subject: Re: Salt water caps, was earth resonance
> >
> > >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comThu Sep  5 22:16:22 1996
> > Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 11:29:29 -0700
> <SNIP>
> >
> > Tesla had a constant problem with the "bottles giving way" as he tried to
> > up his voltage input in July through September 1899.  The manitou bottle
> > helped a lot but never really worked perfectly.  I have noted his wiring
> > arrangment on the caps.  (published in my book) and he could adjust to
> > just a 1000pf with mere external wire connects.  No need to fart with the
> > water levels other than to replace water lost through evaporation. (dry
> > climate).
> >
>  I believe that you mean Maniton (not Manitou) water bottles

Nope!  Manitou.  As in Manitou Springs, Colorado!  Nolit misprinted.
(courtesy Leland Anderson-Tesla Expert, while I was writing my book on
the subject).  R. Hull

 and while
> he did have then break from time to time he attributed it to a a cascading
> effect.

It only takes one bottle to spoil a bunch.  These were not manufactured
to Tesla cap specs but as common water bottles.  They varied from bottle
to bottle.  This was Tesla's weak link.  R. Hull

 The bottles (is placed in series) were able to withstand an
> EMF of 30,000 safely and stated that he thought the glass was
> excellent. (Colorado Springs notes by Nolit page 120.) As far as them
> giving way, I want to know how many TC builders are putting thier
> coils under the kind of stress Tesla did? I don't think that this is
> an issue unless you are a very serious TC Builder. Most of what I
> have seen posted on this site are neon sign transformer Tesla Coils
> with emf in the 10 to 15KV range.
> As far as "farting" around with the water level he did this on
> numerous occasions though I concede that wiring swaps were used
> mostly (much easier to do!) but you will also see different
> capacitance values used due to differing bottle draft.
> As far as loosing water due to evaporation that was not the case
> since he plugged the top with parafin oil (also page 120).

I was refering to the tank levels,  not the bottle levels for
evaporation.  Tesla notes this evaopration problem as particularly
bedeviling in a number of private communications to Scherff and Johnson.
 Leland Anderson,(greatest Tesla Historian), is in possesion of an
amazing amount of original and personal Tesla material and documents
which have never seen the light of day!!   He has made a small amount of
it available to me with the promise of not releasing or publishing it
prior to his own revelations.  You would not believe the amazing
character of some of it.
R. Hull

> My point was that there is no need to downplay bottle caps for the
> novice. Not everyone has either the time or resources to do it by more
> "efficient" means.

I just recently in a post on dielectrics mentioned that bottle/glass was
a pretty fair dielectric.  The problem is, most amateurs never secure the
right type! (They evidently don't have the resources or the time to even
get the correct bottles!!)  Thus, their efforts fall short of even the
mediocre mark.  This is what has seemingly given the bottle capacitors
and glass caps, in general, a rather bad name.  It would be equivalent to
saying plastic capacitors are no good because only the common mylar was
used as a capacitor by all novices!  There are lots of plastics and lots
of glasses.  R. Hull