[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Vacume Tubes

Tesla List wrote:

> >From gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.milFri Sep 27 22:20:26 1996
> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:58:08 -0500
> From: Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Vacume Tubes
>
> A Question for Richard Hull.
>
> Richard,
>         One of our junior engineers asked an interesting question
> that maybe you have some thoughts on. Could a picture tube be used
> in Tesla operation? We have a number of obsolete Monochrome monitors
> around here that we are currently throwing away. And, this is such
> a waste of good High Voltage Tubes, that maybe another use could be
> found for these devices.
>
> P.S.: Finished my flat plate capacitor, 50 peices 13"x8" Aluminum
>       flashing. And 15 sheets of 6 mil polyethylene between each
>       plate. Measured dry at .0285 uF. I Placed it in a plastic
>       comforter box and filled it with 3 gallons of Mineral oil.
>       I'm going to let it set for a week before I fire it though.
>       I'll keep you posted. Pictures coming soon (I Hope).
>
> Big Red, HV Capacitors. I Burned them up.
> D. Gowin

Picture tubes make Ok rectifiers (albeit huge) with far lower X-Ray
emmision than the standard tubes for the purpose.  (thicker glass and
designed for lowered emmission.)  The acquadag (sp.) or anode is used for
the plate and the cathode will have to be battery powered if a high
voltage insulated fil transformer can't be found.

Richard Hull, TCBOR