[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Illegal?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From julian-at-kbss.bt.co.ukSat Sep 21 11:54:06 1996
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 96 12:21:08 BST
> From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Illegal?
>
> To put my mind at rest I performed a walk test with an AM radio tuned
> to the resonant frequency on my TC.
>
> I performed two tests.
>
> Test1.
> Run your TC at low power to prevent spark breakout.   Tune a radio to the
> resonant frequence of the coil and listen to the racket.   You will have to
> move away from the coil (20m) to get a fine tune.  If you are too close then
> the radio picks up the signal regardless of tune.
>
> Walk away from the coil, stop walking when you can no longer pick the signal
> up.  For me this was only 100m.  This supprised me as I thought I was in for
> a long walk.
>
> Test2.
> Run the coil and allow spark break out.   The sparks will produce a very wide
> band signal.  This can easily be detected on FM, the TV etc.  Perform the walk
> test again.   I had a shorter walk on this test, only getting to the bottom
> of my garden.
>
> Although the radio walk test does not give you and figures, it does tell you
> how much of a distubance your coil is causing.   I do however have neigbours
> living within the affected area, they are very forgiving, and do not complain
> as long as I don't run the coil during the cup final.   I generally keep runs
> short, only performing the longer runs late at night when they are asleep.
>
> Julian Green.

Julian,

We did a similar qualitative test back in 1990 when Nemesisi was running
12,000 watts.  The tuned RF portion of the coil doesn't travel far at
all.  In a Tesla coil, we are looking of EMF output and not RF
transmission and that is just what we get!  WE are trading one for the
other.  The E fields are very intense, however, but are also short range.

Richard Hull, TCBOR