[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: self-C comments

Barry, in reply....

> Are you saying that the isotropic capacitance of the toroid should equal
> the isotropic capacitance of the secondary coil (+ self capacitance of the
> secondary
> coil?)?

I think you want as much C in the terminal as possible to get as much
energy up there as possible. The coil I am currently constructing is
going to ultimately have as much as 2x the Cself in the terminal for
running at 50kHz. I can alter breakout (if it's too much C for a 10J
bang size) by adding some minor humps on the side.

I originally wrote....

> |         I think there might be an optimum terminal radius of
> |curvature to match the energy storage in the primary cap. I have
> |found that if the terminal has too high a breakout voltage for the
> |Ecp, no matter how long you run the coil for, streamers can never
> |break out.

<snip>