[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor Charge-Were is it?

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Hi All,
I want to thank everyone for the replies. For me this has been a very
interesting discussion although I still am having problems with it. It
seems like the chicken and the egg question to me. You can't have a
capacitor without a conductive plate/s and a dielectric. If I say the
charge is on the plates, I probably should say the charge is on the surface
of the plate/s, since that would put it in the dielectric. If you dump
charge on the inside of a conductor it moves to the surface, and I
understand the charge cannot be in the metal plate. I still envision all
those electrons crowding around on the metal plate of a capacitor.
Dielectrics are strong, dielectrics are impressive, but it's conductors
that do all the work. (sorry Mr. Clemens)

In a realm we cannot see, can we really know?
Sockit to me, just don't kick me off the list.
Dave Huffman

P.S. The two capacitor problem...
The lost energy goes into making heat, light, EM radiation, sound, etc. Why
1/2?
I know it's not the same situation, but does half the energy also get lost
going from the Cp to Cs?
Can I transfer energy from one cap to another with minimal loss?