[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spice simulation pictures

Tesla List wrote:

> |> Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>
> >From Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.milMon Oct 21 21:25:34 1996
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 06:43:00 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Spice simulation pictures
>
> What formulas do you use for the skin and proximity
> affect on your spreadsheet.  Bessel functions?
> I am working on a spread sheet in Excel but
> haven't figured out how to do summations
> in spreadsheeteese for calculating the
> bessel function expansions for solving for
> Rac/Rdc from the formula I got in Reddick's
> book.
> Barry
<Big SNIP>

Barry,

I use a wire table, and a couple of calculations combined with a series
of tables from the "Radio Engineers' Handbook", 1943, by Frederick
Terman, McGraw-Hill. Terman provides an in depth, excellent discussion
of both skin and proximity effects. More importantly for coilers, he
provides a number of formulas and tables to permit practical estimation
of both effects. Unfortunately, these tools are not presented as simple
formulas which can be dropped into a spreadsheet. I don't have access to
the Reddick book mentioned in your post (which book is it??)

For a straight round wire, the AC current density is greatest at the
outer surface, decreasing exponentially as we go toward the center. This
"skin effect" reduces the usable cross-sectional area of the conductor,
causing an increase in AC resistance. Furthermore, if we wind the same
wire into a multi-turn coil, the presence of the nearby conductors
causes additional, non-uniform, current-bunching, called proximity
effect, further increasing the AC resistance. These two effects combine
to make total Rac higher than Rdc.

A. Skin Effect:
===============
Terman handles the calculation of Rac/Rdc due to skin effect by first
calculating a parameter (X), and then using a lookup table to compute
Rac/Rdc.

For round copper wire:
        X = 0.271*d*sqrt(f)
 where: d is the copper diameter (mils)
        f is in MHz.

Once X is calculated, the matching Rac/Rdc value is looked up (Terman,
Table 4., p. 31). For those without access to Terman's book, this table
is duplicated below.

                             TABLE 1.

X	Rac/Rdc		X	Rac/Rdc		X	Rac/Rdc
0.0 	1.0000 		5.2 	2.114 		14.0 	5.209
0.5 	1.0003 		5.4 	2.184 		14.5 	5.386
0.6 	1.0007 		5.6 	2.254 		15.0 	5.562
0.7 	1.0012 		5.8 	2.324 		16.0 	5.915
0.8 	1.0021 		6.0 	2.394 		17.0 	6.268
0.9 	1.0034 		6.2 	2.463 		18.0 	6.621
1.0 	1.005 		6.4 	2.533 		19.0 	6.974
1.1 	1.008 		6.6 	2.603 		20.0 	7.328
1.2 	1.011 		6.8 	2.673 		21.0 	7.681
1.3 	1.015 		7.0 	2.743 		22.0 	8.034
1.4 	1.020 		7.2 	2.813 		23.0 	8.387
1.5 	1.026 		7.4 	2.884 		24.0 	8.741
1.6 	1.033 		7.6 	2.954 		25.0 	9.094
1.7 	1.042 		7.8 	3.024 		26.0 	9.447
1.8 	1.052 		8.0 	3.094 		28.0 	10.15
1.9 	1.064 		8.2 	3.165 		30.0 	10.86
2.0 	1.078 		8.4 	3.235 		32.0 	11.57
2.2 	1.111 		8.6 	3.306 		34.0 	12.27
2.4 	1.152 		8.8 	3.376 		36.0 	12.98
2.6 	1.201 		9.0 	3.446 		38.0 	13.69
2.8 	1.256 		9.2 	3.517 		40.0 	14.40
3.0 	1.318 		9.4 	3.587 		42.0 	15.10
3.2 	1.385 		9.6 	3.658 		44.0 	15.81
3.4 	1.456 		9.8 	3.728 		46.0 	16.52
3.6 	1.529 		10.0 	3.799 		48.0 	17.22
3.8 	1.603 		10.5 	3.975 		50.0 	17.93
4.0 	1.678 		11.0 	4.151 		60.0 	21.47
4.2 	1.752 		11.5 	4.327 		70.0 	25.00
4.4 	1.826 		12.0 	4.504 		80.0 	28.54
4.6 	1.899 		12.5 	4.680 		90.0 	32.07
4.8 	1.971 		13.0 	4.856 		100.0 	35.61
5.0 	2.043 		13.5 	5.033 		Inf	Inf

Example 1: For 22 AWG straight wire at 90 kHz:

         X = 0.271*25.3*sqrt(0.090) = 2.057

   RAC/RDC = 1.086 (interpolating from above table)

Example 2: For 14 AWG at 150 kHz:

         X = .271*64.1*sqrt(0.150) = 6.728

   Rac/Rdc = 2.648 (interpolating from above table)

B. Proximity Effect:
===================
Proximity effect is a complex function of wire material, wire diameter,
turn-to-turn spacing, coil diameter, and coil height. Of interest to
coilers, Terman provides methods for calculating the effect in
single-layer solenoids employing solid wire with not-too-close turn
spacing and for close-wound coils, and coils wound from Litz wire (pp.
77 - 80). Unfortunately, the combination of formulas and tables is much
too involved to show here. Suffice it to say, the added AC resistance
attributable to proximity effect is often equal to, or greater than,
straight-wire skin effect. Proximity effect is increased by
close-winding, and by using larger coil length/diameter ratios. Terman
provides one of the better overall descriptions and tools to actually
estimate the effect. Most other texts discuss proximity effect in
passing, but do not attempt to provide any ways of estimating it.

However.....
>From a very _practical_ standpoint, most coilers find it considerably
simpler to wind the coil, measure the Q, then back-figure the effective
Rac. In fact, the problem posed by Robert Stephens was the _first_ time
I actually had any need to compute the impact of proximity effect...

Safe and not-too-theoretical coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --