[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First post: Fluoresce

Quoting  pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com:

 > I constructed a simple prototype coil using 28 guage wire,
 > approximately 1-1/4 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inches in
 > height.  The turns ratio was about 10 to 1.  At resonance,
 > this yields a voltage transformation ratio of about 100 to 1.
 > The resonant frequency was about 6MHz.  When the primary was
 > excited with an RF generator and the secondary connected to a
 > 40 watt fluorescent tube with a single wire (return path
 > through the air), the lamp could be fully illuminated with
 > less than 6 watts.

Efficiency climbs when you use a two wire system based on the
same basic pricipal. Instead of using a single terminal (one open
end) Tesla coil for the resonator, go with a bipolar coil (two
open ends) and center mounted primary. The single wire system
makes a wonderful demonstration, but the two wire system just
plain works better.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12