[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Tesla List wrote:

> >From sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.eduMon Oct 21 21:39:58 1996
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:07:22 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Steve Roys <sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
> > Well that happens on each half cycle of primary ringdown during
> > energy transfer to the secondary. But bearing in mind that unless
> > there is an external source of energy from somewhere, Vcp can not
> > rise higher than it initially was before the gap fired can it?
> > A cap with high ESR will suffer badly from running in an uncoupled
> > circuit as the dielectric heats and possibly hot-spots.
> >
> > Malcolm
>
> It was my understanding that, at resonance, the voltage measured across
> the supply transformer (neglecting kickback) would be Vs, but the voltages
> measured across the inductive components individually could be many times
> the supply voltage, and would be directly related to the circuit's 'Q'.
>
> Steve Roys.

Steve,

In theory you are right.  Wanna bet we don't measure anything like it?!!

So much of theory is based on a supply of matched impedance or relative
stiffness and stability.  It is based pretty much on steady state (CW)
conditions. (not always) and relies often on neat sine wave input.
Violate one of these parameters and any good scientist will walk away and
you'll have to actually do the measurments, real-time!

Richard Hull, TCBOR