[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: v/meter

Tesla List wrote:

> >From pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-comMon Sep 30 22:29:42 1996
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 18:55:20 EDT
> From: pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com
> To: mail11:  ;
> Cc: pierson-at-msd26.enet.dec-dot-com
> Subject: v/meter
>
> >> Regarding the breakdown voltage, it seems that the air will only
> >> hold off roughly 800kV/m in this corner of the world using finite
>
> >That makes the 17" or so I measured to be around 350kV which is more
> >what I would have expected. I shall revise my 35kV/inch.
>
>         EVERY presentation of this data i have seen, for any shape
>         electrodes and for any pressure, etc, foo, mumble is nonlinear.
>
>         It is not reccomended to extrapolate.  (plus or minus a few percent
>         in volatge, fine, but iof the voltage is substantially different from
>         where the gap was calibrated, the extrapolation will be very iffy.)
>
>         regards
>         dwp

All,

I have to give a here...here to that one!  Man if I had a buck for every
volt/inch or watts/foot proclamation I have heard since I got in this
business, I could go to Paris for the summer!

There is NO repeat NO definitive statable volt per inch or watt per foot
general rule under any even a narrow range of circumstances.  Only a
single specific circumstance!!!!  You can't move even a pinch off what
you've got or the statement is now a joke.  there are probably 10
variables with affect any result, virtually none of which are
transferable to an average situation.

We can state these generalizations, but they lead us into a position of
having to crab or yield when someone else shows our proclamations to be
in error and then they, in their turn, are shown to be just plain wrong,
too.

I would always hate to say "give it up".  But, hey, this is as close to a
totally lost scientific cause as I have ever seen.  Is even 10% good
enough?  Is 10% by calculation or even general rule really realizable?

Air is of variable pressure and humidity.  Surface areas and geometries
of electrodes vary from one instance to the next.  Frequency and wave
shape play a significant role in arc length.  Finally, as stated above,
the word "ARC" is the quintesential definition of NON-LINEAR!

Richard Hull, TCBOR