[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Arcing

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-netMon Sep 30 22:28:20 1996
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:43:47 -0500
> From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-ptbo.igs-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Power Arcing
>
> >>From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comSun Sep 29 21:56:11 1996
> >Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 08:11:14 -0700
> >From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Power Arcing
>
> >All,
>
> >I was running my coil at somewhat higher power today (off three 15 KV 60
<SNIP>
> I was pretty lucky with just a single 10 foot ground rod at these
> power levels, but I think my attention to ground routing within the
> lab and around the coil had a lot to do with my success.  In the new
> lab I plan to do the same thing, only better, and with more rods in
> the ground outside.
>
> This certainly works for me.
>
> Regards,
>
> rwstephens

Robert,

Thanks for the detailed feedback! My coil presently resides in a
screened in porch, and my wife probably wouldn't be too keen on me
putting up chicken wire. After all, I've already taken over most of the
room with the coil and miscellaneous equipment. I am stringing
RF-grounded 22 gauge magnet wire along the beams, but the physical size
of the room and location of conduit and ceiling fan still make for easy
targets. It looks like I'll need to move the coil outside or look for a
bigger place!

I've sort of reconstructed what happened to my vacuum motor - I took a
couple of accidental hits to a hanging lamp. This was on the same
circuit as my blower motor, and the weak link was the motor. The lamp is
now unplugged, and I'm using a foil "bump" on the toroid to steer the
sparks toward safer areas of the room.

Safe coilin'' to ya!

-- Bert --