[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IGBT

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comWed Oct  2 22:33:12 1996
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 18:48:44 -0700
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: IGBT
>
> 10/1/96
>
> R. Hull wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > Well, Digi-key finally received and delivered to me my 1200V 90amp
> > International rectifier IGBT.
>
> snip
>
> Richard,
>
> Just a couple of quick questions.  What exactly does insulated gate in
> IGBT mean?  How does it differ from an ordinary bipolar transistor?
> What is GTO?
>
> Does anyone have data sheets on the following transistor modules or
> known data sources?
>
> 1.  Fuji Electric 8008    2DI 50A-120  (50A 1200V)
> 2.  PRX  Type KS621240    No. N33AR1
> 3.  PRX  Type KD421K15    04AK3
>
> Thanks,
>
> RWW

Richard

According to the data book, the gate is laid down similar to that of an
FET, but all the rest of the sandwich is a bipolar.  They give an
equivalent circuit which looks like and FET driving a bipolar, but they
warn this is just for illustration and represents an electrical
equivalency or analog.  The IGBT seems the best of all worlds and is
certainly being utilized by all the old bipolar heads in the business now
that they have the nice turn on characteristics of the FET without the
other associated problems.

There is one major snag though.  The device actually is siliconed up like
a thyristor!!!! NPNP...  It can have latch up modes if the design work is
poor.  (supposedly easy to avoid this. So saeth the book of IGBT)  A true
bipolar will never do that!  We will see.  Nothing is easy or as it first
appears.  Gottchas abound.

Richard Hull, TCBOR