[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

On 10/28/96 22:25:33 you wrote:

>> >Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>> [snip to save Chip's eyes]
>> >
>> >Since a vacuum is a conductor (i.e vacuum tube), you cannot have a
potential
>> >difference (charge) in a pure vacuum.  This concept is theoretical.
>> >
>> [ditto]
>>         Sorry,
>>                 But a vacuum is NOT a conductor. The conduction in a
>> vacuum tube is due to the electrons boiled off the cathode flowing
>> through free space toward the positive plate.  If you reverse the
>> applied voltage (plate more negative) then no current will flow.  This
>> is exactly how a vacuum rectifier tube works.  If the vacuum were
>> conducting, then the vacuum rectifier would conduct in both
>> directions.
>>
>> In other devices, without a thermonic cathode, the electrons are
>> ejected/ripped out of the cathode whenever the electric field is
>> greater than the work function of the material. That is: when the
>> force on the electron from the electric field is greater than the
>> force holding it in the material.  This effect is called field
>> emission.
>>
>>         Regards,
>>
>>         jim
>

>Jim,
>
>I am glad you caught this one, I was about to comment on it myself.  The
>vacuum of space is the best insulator known.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

I am afraid I must bore you with another comment to clarify my position and
understanding.  If space is the best insulator known, rather than a
conductor, then how is it that space conducts electomagnetic energy so well?
In the classic sense of what a conductor is at DC, space is indeed an
insulator (and very poor dielectric I might add).  But when it comes to the
matter of passing electromagnetic energy, whether this energy is in the form
of photons or electrons, the vacuum is a very good conductor indeed.

Electromagnetic energy from the sun is the primary source of energy for the
planet and it propagates through essentially a vacuum (space).  Still seems
like a pretty good conductor to me :>)

Phil Gantt

Phil Gantt (pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com)
http://www-dot-netcom-dot-com/~pgantt/intro.html