[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Air insulation

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Hi Richard and All,
With the discussions about insulators (oil fill and such) I was going to
mention that adding a dielectric does not always reduce the arcing when
high voltage is present. I had an overcoupled coil that I tried to
'insulate' the primary from the secondary with a roll of polypropylene. It
seemed to make the situation worse. I did this back before joining this
discussion and know little about the nature of what was going on. It
appears that the electric field will concentrate in materials with higher
dielectric constants (K). Like adding magnetic materials to increase
magnetic coupling, dielectrics add to electric coupling or concentration.
If it is the jump in K then maybe we need intermediate K values to allow a
gradual change in K. Like the coating on a camera lens. Maybe this would
work in capacitors as well.
Here I go again, thinking aloud. 8?)
Dave