[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting

>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:05:53 -0600
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting

>From ed-at-alumni.caltech.eduWed Oct 16 22:39:57 1996
>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:45:45 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting
>
>Re: RFI
>	Current "solid-state ballasted" fluorescent lamps sure
>produce prodigious amounts of RF interference, as to the various
>remote-control switches available for homes, and also SCR/TRIAC
>light dimmers.  Where I live such interference is already so bad
>that I can, with a simple loop antenna and oscilloscope, direction
>find on many local interference sources.
>	One of the "solid-state ballasted" fluorescent lamps I
>bought and tested ran at a fundamental frequency of about 39 to
>40 kHz, but I can detect harmonics of it up through 54 MHz, and
>it even interferes a bit with our TV, even though it is in a
>separate building about 100 feet from the house.
>	In my opinion any of these devices is an invention of
>the devil,

   Love your choice of words!

>destined to increase RF pollution ad infinitum. As
>they become more common radio listening (for all except very
>powerful stations) will become more and more plagued with
>interference.

   Indeed. As an avid listener to distant radio stations I am surely
   annoyed by these devices.  Some computers are even worse (some are
   OK).

   Couldn't someone start a class-action law suit against the
   manufacturers?

>As far as I can see, no one is seriously interested
>in regulating these things and the FCC hasn't the intent or
>resources to do anything.  How do you crack down on 10,000,000 +
>noise jammers spread through as many homes, and owned by people
>who haven't the faintest comprehension of the physics involved??

   You just have to get people excited about it, I suppose.

>There have been proposed RF-excited lamps which are supposed to
>operate on the "interference-permitted" frequencies of 13.355 MHz
>and 27.1 MHz.  I talked to an engineer involved in such a project
>and he told me his company had no intention whatever of controlling
>either the operating frequency or the level of interference
>generated.
>This is a tirade, based on years of frustration with the proliferation
>of devices such as those under discussion.
>Ed Phillips

   The manufacturers sure seem to have a bad attitude.  But sad to
   say, I have seen, in writing, similar attitudes from Tesla-coil
   builders.

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.