[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: >Subject: Re: First post: Fluoresce

Tesla List wrote:

> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netFri Oct 18 21:54:09 1996
> Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:20:48 +0000
> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: >Subject: Re: First post: Fluoresce

> >>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:50:00 GMT
> >>From: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
> >>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> >>Subject: Re: First post: Fluoresce
> >>
> >>Quoting  pgantt-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com:

> >>Efficiency climbs when you use a two wire system based on the
> >>same basic pricipal. Instead of using a single terminal (one open
> >>end) Tesla coil for the resonator, go with a bipolar coil (two
> >>open ends) and center mounted primary. The single wire system
> >>makes a wonderful demonstration, but the two wire system just
> >>plain works better.
> >>
> >>Richard Quick
> >

> >Thanks for the input.  I can believe there would be better coupling in the
> >configuration you described, but what I envisioned was imbedding the
> >transformer into the base of a fluorescent lamp.  Thus, the single wire
> >configuration seemed most appropriate.
> >
> >Phil Gantt
> >

> Keep in mind that light is radiant energy and must be less than the energy
> at the input of the Tesla coil or you will have over unity energy. The
> efficacy of the light is dependent on color, frequency, and bandwidth. The
> efficacy of white light (wide bandwidth) is about 187 lumens per watt. The
> lumen is light power. One footcandle is one lumen per square foot. A 40 watt
> fluorescent lamp is about 100 lumens per watt.
> Light output energy = Tesla input energy minus losses.
>
> Jack C.

What you say sounds reasonable.  If you consider that in a 60Hz lighting
system
only about 2% of the energy produces light, this in very inefficient.
The method
I described has much higher efficiency than that.  Unfortunately,
however, I did
not have the instrumentation to make light measurements.  This was the
next step
in the development process.

Phil Gantt