[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More capaciter Questions

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rpittman-at-juno-dot-comFri Oct 18 21:38:02 1996
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:02:49 PST
> From: Ronnie R Pittman <rpittman-at-juno-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: More capaciter Questions
>
> Hi all,
>         I have been reading the posts of this group for the past month or
> two and have really enjoyed the insights offered (even though I must
> admit that I understand about 1/2 of what is said).  I have also been
> amazed as to the understanding and knowlege that many of you have
> concerning tesla coils. Wow.  :-()
>         I teach math and science to grades 5 - 10 and so I became
> interested in a tesla coil that I could build to use for demonstrations
> and experiments in my classroom.
>         I kind of feel silly asking such simple questions but I am not
> sure where else to turn.  I have just finished sanding, sealing,
> winding, and sealing the secondary coil (Approx. 983 turns of 24 awg
> magnet wire on 4" drain pvc)  that I plan to use thanks to the
> information provided by this group.  I also have a 6kv 30 ma neon (kind
> of wimpy I know but it was the most I could get my hands on at the time)
> that I plan to use to drive it (I was also curious if I got snowed on the
> deal, is $40 about right?).  I also have acquired the 3/8 copper tubing
> that I plan to use for my primary.
>
>         My questions are the following,
>
> 1.  Seeing that I am on a teachers budget :-< I am planning on building
> my own Caps and was wondering, is there any advantage to building a
> stacked vs a rolled cap?  I have the plans for the rolled (ala R.Quick.)
>  but It seems that the stacked would be easier seeing that the rolling
> process is said to be tricky.
>
> 2.  Is there anything cheaper than plexiglass to insulate the primary
> from a wood base?
>
> 3.  Are there plans or diagrams anywhere for a flat Cap?
>
> 4.  Will a single static spark gap quench OK with out an air blast?
>
> 5.  What length of sparks can I expect assuming very poor effeciency?
>
> 6.  There is going to be a hamfest in Tampa FL which I am planning on
> attending and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to
> look out for that I will really need in the future?
>
>         Once again I appreciate any help any one can offer,  and I am
> sorry to bug you guys. (Eventually I hope to aquire the understanding
> knowlege to be able to contribute to your very interesting discussions)
>   =8-)
>
> Much obliged uu
> R. Pittman

Hello Ron:

	A little over one year ago I started on this list and I've collected a
significant number of posts that have been excellent reference material
that helped me get my first coil in 22 years to make some pretty neat
sparks.  I would be happy to forward some of these to you if it might be
of interest.  Together they offer enough data to answer many of the
questions I had in the first 6-8 months.  If interested, let me know and
I would be happy to forward  these to you, the best of about 190 that I
thought were all very good info!

Chuck Curran