[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-comSun Oct 27 21:46:10 1996
> Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 12:02:23 -0500
> From: DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

> << Since a vacuum is a conductor (i.e vacuum tube), you cannot have a
> potential
>  difference (charge) in a pure vacuum.  This concept is theoretical.
>   >>

> How then does the 1000pf Glass cylinder "vacuum" cap store its charge? Not
> likely in the glass since the plates are at right angles to the cylinder
> wall.  The answer perhaps is that the charge is stored neither *in* the
> plates nor solely in the dielectric but rather in the field surrounding the
> plates.  This field is influenced by the dielectric (if any) between the
> plates.
>
> It also seems to me that *electrostatic* fields (charges?) can exist in a
> vacuum with out current flow, but I agree that the tube analogy is troubling.
>  It is, however, well known that tubes suffer from "interelectrode plate-grid
> capacitance."  If plates in a vacuum could not hold a charge, interelectrode
> capacitance would not be a problem in tube circuit design - but it is.
>  Additional thinking needs to be done on this subject I suspect :)
>
> -DavidF-

Thus far, no one has measured the magnetic fields predicted from
dispalcement currents actually in a dielectric!  I've been watchin' this
closely.

Actually, I have always found the faraday idea of little field lines
or fingers of force reaching out into space a bit tedious and sophomoric
beyond serving as a simple first learning tool.  Yet, I am as hopelessly
doomed to use the word as the next guy due to the educational process
which molded my concepts and thoughts.

Richard Hull, TCBOR