[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Failure

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSun Oct 13 22:24:00 1996
> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 17:19:57 -0700
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Cap Failure

<SNIP>
> When I closely examined my casing there were several small
> black carbonized tracks in the casing.  Under magnification they appear
> to be arc tracks through the pvc wall.  As pointed out earlier, these
> caps are sealed with the specifications of a bomb.  And, with our
> resonances and kickback I'm sure the 10 kvac case rating is handily
> exceeded.

<Snip>

Richard,

In our case the capacitor was resting on a thick piece of HDPE, so I
wouldn't expect to see any arcing through in the case. Was your cap
sitting on a conductive surface by any chance?

<Snip>

> Follow up on cap explosion.
>
> I refused replacement of another defective cap from CP.  All my cap
> rolls were intact and tested out.  I resolder the straps and placed
> them in a 6" acrylic form.  I filled it with mineral oil and pumped it
> down while on end (idea from R. Hull's post).  I drilled several detent
> holes in the 1/4" acrylic end plates (Malcolm's suggestion).  I ran it
> intermittently for almost two weeks at increasing voltages.

Sounds like a good idea, especially of if CP doesn't want the cap back.
Other than the disconnected metal strap, the cap sections appeared to be
OK. Is the above cap what you're using now, or did you go with a
different vendor's cap? Since you didn't want a replacement, did CP give
you a refund instead?

<SNIP>

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --