[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Steinmetz Coil

10/13/96

Steinmetz invented a TC where the primary cap was replaced by an
inductor.  This primary inductor directly drives the base of the
secondary and the secondary drives a magnifier.  The power source is
direct current and there is a switch.  Various schemes have been used
for the switch including multipactors.  Would this be a good place to
try a hydrogen thyratron or would the cemf from the primary inductor
preclude this?  Any ideas about a switching device?

Years ago I built a Kirillian photography generator with a variable
frequency solid state switch and an automobile coil.  These coils are
very rugged and I never burned one out.  Could a magnifier be driven
with one of these coils at the right frequency and power setting?

Big Questions:  Why are we always so fascinated with switching the high
voltage side?  Why not switch direct current, vary frequency and dwell,
limit current and quenching on the low voltage side of the power
transformer?

RWW