[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: First post: Fluorescent lighting

On 10/17/96 22:25:23 you wrote:

>> Subject: First post: Fluorescent lighting
>Re: First post: Fluorescent lighting
><<major snip>>
>

>> power consumption by about 42.5%.
>>
>> So, that is what I have in a nutshell.  Any comments?
>>
>> Phil Gantt
>

>Phil -
>

> One thing does come to mind, and that is for every lamp per your
>design will have a small RF generator on it. If you have a whole
>bunch of these things in a building, and if they are all not EXACTLY
>on the same frequency, you could wind up with an electrical
>cacouphany(sp?), ie: RF chaos.
>
> I would imagine that the FCC would step in and require that every
>lighting fixture (or the building) be RF shielded...
>
> Just my off-the-wall thoughts.
>
>- Brent

Because the coils have high self capacitance, the signal applied to the lamp
is harmonic free resulting in little RFI.  I have no idea what the combined
effect of many of these would be, but in total, I would guess that the RFI
produced would be less that that of conventional fluorescent fixtures.  As
you may know, conventional fixtures are very noisy.