[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Real data from real experiments.

Hi Brent,

<too much snip>
> > C'mon guys. If the system oscillates, you have kinetic energy in
> > there. When it stops, you have lost the kinetic energy. This is
> > physics 1.
> >
> > Malcolm
>

> Well, yeah. But I was talking in the ideal situation. I can't believe
> that more than, say 5 or 10% of the charge is 'written off' to losses,
> unless you are really pumping a load of current through the wire. At
> least the losses shouldn't come close to 1/2 of the total original
> energy. The idea of this thread was on a theoretical basis anyway.

*NONE* of the _charge_ is written off. It is energy that is lost and
in your example, most of it _is_ lost through friction and heating
the water. To whit: moving charge constitutes kinetic energy, static
charge constitutes potential energy. As Ed Phillips says, integrating
the loss over time shows the rate of loss mkes no difference to the
final total loss.
Malcolm