[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polyethylene

>>From MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nzTue Nov 12 21:49:41 1996
>Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:30:54 +1200
>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Polyethylene

>Hi all,
>          I'd like some advice please. I am wanting to finish my hi-V
>scope probe off by filling the tube. I thought about the ease with
>which hot-melt runs and thought, yeah - polyethylene. I have a large
>collection of old copier toner HDPE bottles. I tried melting a few in
>a pot to pour into the probe tube. I reckon at around 180 degrees C
>in the oven the stuff was on the verge of burning but still nowhere
>near molten. Does anyone have some advice on either how I can do this
>or a suggestion for an alternative filling? I could use wax I guess.

>Malcolm

Malcolm,

As long as the components in your probe will not be damaged by the
heat of pouring in hot parrafin wax I'd say go for the wax.  I
suspect silicon diodes may not appreciate the heat.  If you want the
ultimate filler material for high voltage try to find some 2-part,
like epoxy, silicone sealant.  Dow Corning makes it specifically for
encapsulating high voltage electronic stuff.  I've seen it in
black, white and crystal clear.  Cures just like RTV silicone but
pours in around your components just like water.  Sets up in a few
hours.  This stuff is pricey though.  I paid aboiut $60.00 Canadian
for about 10 fluid ounces.

Robert