[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Polyethylene

>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Polyethylene
>
>Hi all,
>          I'd like some advice please. I am wanting to finish my hi-V
>scope probe off by filling the tube. I thought about the ease with
>which hot-melt runs and thought, yeah - polyethylene. I have a large
>collection of old copier toner HDPE bottles. I tried melting a few in
>a pot to pour into the probe tube. I reckon at around 180 degrees C
>in the oven the stuff was on the verge of burning but still nowhere
>near molten. Does anyone have some advice on either how I can do this
>or a suggestion for an alternative filling? I could use wax I guess.

Hi Malcolm,

	Hot glue -> LDPE

	Bottles  -> HDPE

	other stuff: MDPE

Different melting points and viscosities.

Don Lancester (of TTL cookbook fame) suggest 1/2" polyethylene rod run
through your hot glue gun for potting and small time injection
molding.  I'm not sure if it will flow through your tubing.

	jim