[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What efficiency?!

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> > > guys at CEBAF wind their own on hula hoops!! For megamp currents and
> > > integrate over time with IC op amp integrators. [RH]
> > Basically a current transformer. What I envisaged was to place the
> > coil around the grounded discharge rod (LV end of things). I had
> > trouble imagining why sec. current should be so difficult to measure.
> > Malcolm
> If you think that a nice long spark won't come of that grounded rod to a
> small CT, guess again!!  I've seen it happen and have a couple of fried
> front ends to prove it.  Use a hula hoop or a core whose diameter is
> about 1/3rd the length of the spark itself!
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Why not "simply" use a fiber-optic link between the scope and CT?  CT-unit
would be floating.. This might include AD of the measurement data (and
sending the data via fiber in digital form)  and then a datalogger
(computer)  recording the data from the fiber.. One could then run
fourier-analysis etc. to the data..

One of those things on my "must try some time" list..

Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |