[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: shorted turn?

>>From des-at-ellijay-dot-comMon Nov 11 22:59:33 1996
>Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:40:19 -0500
>From: des <des-at-ellijay-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: shorted turn?
>
>I'm nearing the completion of constructing my first coil system, and
>have been assuming that I could use a large diameter hose clamp (metal)
>to secure the ground strap braid to the base of the secondary coil's
>tube.  I've been wondering though, will the fact that the clamp is a
>complete circle be a problem, what with the shorted turn?
>
>Guess I won't power up until I get some expert advice, I mean, I like to
>gather information through experimentation, but why burn up anything if
>someone out there can tell me that it will burn, melt, or blow up?
>
>I assumed that because it is at the ground potential, it shouldn't be a
>problem...  Any advice?
>
>doug

Doug,

Not only will that hose clamp be a shorted turn, but you will be
placing it in the worst possible location, inside the primary where
the most intense magnetic field will be shorted out.  Don't do it
man!  Find another way of securing the bottom terminal on the outside
of your secondary form.  I find hot glue works great.

rwstephens