[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: may be a duplicate

Paul Millott wrote:

> >From paulmil-at-ibm-dot-netWed Nov 13 23:26:51 1996
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:22:51 GMT
> From: PAUL MILLOTT <paulmil-at-ibm-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: may be a duplicate
>
> GL wrote:
>
> Well, the only thing that's safe to say at this point is that our definitions
> >of 'charge' are very different.  Your definition of charge seems to map more
> >accurately onto my definition of electric field.  Semantics?  Perhaps.
> >For what it's worth, here's my definition of charge --
> >
> >A fundamental property of electrons and positrons, by virtue of which:
> >  1.  Electrons repel electrons at a distance.
> >  2.  Positrons repel positrons at a distance.
> >  3.  Electrons and positrons attract each other at a distance.
> >Charges are always point sources, and electric lines of force terminate _only_
> >in electric charges.
> >
> >This definition is still quite valid, as countless experiments have verified
> >that electric field lines _always_ terminate in either a positron or an
> electron,
> >without exception.  Alternative theories are possible, but you'll have to
> >"do the experiment" that proves them in order to become famous.
> >
> >-GL
> >
> >GL. Please explain for me in simple terms what your definitions are again.
>
> What is charge? I know it repels or attracts but WHAT IS IT?

At this point in time, the closest description of charge is that of a
fundamental property or quantity of matter.
In classical mechanics, four fundamental quantities are required to describe
the interaction of neutral matter upon other neutral matter.  These are
Length, Mass, Time, and Temperature.  If the masses are _electrified_, then
a fifth fundamental quantity is required to describe the electrical phenomena
that are observed.  This quantity can take the form of either electric charge Q,
or the permittivity of free space.

> What is the charge on a proton?

Last time I checked (we actually do measure it at work) it was  +e.

> Where is the point source of the electric charge in an electron?

The point source of the charge is defined as the point where the electric lines
of force converge inside the electron (or positron).

> What are electric lines of force?

In a strict sense of the word, an electrical line of force is the path that
would be traced out by a positive test charge if it were free to move in the
electric field, unimpeded by gravitational or other outside sources.

> Why can a proton and electron exist in close proximity but a positron and
> an electron will wipe each other out, cancelling both charges?

A proton and an electron are both matter, so there is no annihilation potential
between them.  The positron component of a proton is bound up by the proton,
and is only ever released during proton decay, which is extremely rare.
However a positron and an electron can annihilate instantly upon contact, as long
as their spins are opposite.

-GL