[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Real data from real experiments.

<<
 Richard/Malcom:
 	I hope I am not repeating a question already asked,but here goes.  Is
 there a way you could suggest to select the best size cap for a given
 set of coil parameters?
 I have that new PVC form I mentioned and I am ready to start the primary
 component selection and construction.  The primary is a piece of 15 1/4"
 O.D. PVC and the coil will be 50" of #15 wire, or 831 turns. Primary was
 going to be 5/8" thin wall copper tube.  I was considering a .1 mfd cap,
 but I really do not have a feel for what exactly the primary L/C ratio
 should be for optimum spark.  Your comments woud be appreciated.  Thanks

 Chuck Curran

Chuck,

How large will the primary be?  I would recommend 14 to 15 turns.  Best bet
for the primary is large L and low C.  Calculate the resonate frequency of
the secondary with a reasonable sized toroid like at least 30" to 40"
diameter.  Calculate the primary inductance.  Now calculate the capacitor
required to match the secondary frequency with the primary tapped at say 12
turns.  What size transformer will you be using?

I assume this if for a classic two coil system, correct?

Ed Sonderman