[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

3.5KV-Is it High Enough?

From: TimRaney-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com, Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 3.5Kv high enough?

Dave:

I made a small Tesla coil with a 5KV, 5mA transformer and use it for
discharge tubes.  Spark length is approx. 1.5 to 2".  I used a two gap series
gap and two 0.0047? uF capacitors in series;  #14 wire for primary and #26
magnet wire for a secondary (wrapped on 1.5" O.D., 6" long plastic pipe used
for toilets).  Secondary discharge terminal was a 1" brass ball.  I call it
my "junk box Tesla coil."

Also did experiments with a low pressure spark gap (glass tube enclosed spark
gap evacuated to approx. 100 mm Hg (100 torr) and found that a small Tesla
coil can oscillate when the input voltage is approx. 1KV.  Secondary output
is weak, but it works for energizing discharge tubes.

I think you should give it a try, see what happens and take notes!  Hope this
helped a little.

TIM RANEY