[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier system

Re: "I suspect it would be quite possible to
> build a small arc generator putting out several hundred watts
> of CW at a couple of hundred kHz, which would be fine for a
> small "tube" coil.  One of the many projects I will probably
> never get around to doing."
	I can't describe what I haven't built yet!  However,
the "tiny" oscillators I built used copper for one terminal
and "carbons" from AAA pen cells for the other.  Operated under
kerosene, with a very micky mouse type solenoid arrangement to
try to keep the distance constant as the arc burned.  About one
half amp DC in through big RF chokes from a 150 volt source
which also had large inductor to make it easier to strike and
maintain the arc.  Never could keep it going right for more than
a minute or so, but when it was running could get an ampere or
so of RF flowing in a series tuned circuit connected across the
arc.  Ran frequency from about 200 kHz to nearly 2 MHz by varying
L and C, but could never draw significant power from it.  Problem
was the crudity of the setup.  Have descriptions of small arc
generators in old radio magazines.  They differed mainly in being
better built, usually totally enclosed, and usually dripped alcohol
into the chamber to maintain the hydrocarbon rich atmosphere which
seems to help high frequency arc operation.  Most also had an
electromagnet to "blow" the arc.  Gary Legal, one of the local
Tesla coil guys, at one time had a small arc in his possession.
Didn't know what it was and sold it to someone else.  I've been
trying to run it down for years without luck.
	Not a very informative description, I realize.  Will
try to do better at some future time.  The way the solenoid
worked was that one electrode was pivoted, with a weak spring
pulling the electrodes together and the solenoid, in series
with the DC circuit, pulling them apart.  Had a very crummy
attempt at a viscous damper to keep the thing from oscillating,
but not enough damping and too much slop in the works.  That
is one of the many half-done projects around here which have
fallen by the wayside.  Keep thinking about doing it over,
and probably will but don't know when.
Regards,
Ed