[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Got a neon-What now?

<Big Snip>
<< and with the size of the 15kV neon being much larger
 > >(and heavier) than the 9kV it looked like it could transform  more watts
 > >intermittently. I will probably end up trying both, but what is really
 > >the better voltage to use?  >>
 <More Snip>

Brad, my recollection is that a 15kv neon has heavier windings than a 9kv so
it should last longer.  I have no idea why some people have had the
experience of "blowing them up" in a few minutes of tesla coil operation.  As
far as I can tell, the only reasons that this might happen are: 1) incorrect
primary circuit hookup (I did this myself at the beginning).  2) too wide a
gap. or 3) lack of  proper choking to reduce the high free back EMF pulse to
the trans.

I have been using a 15kv 60ma neon for approximately 6 hours of total runtime
at 15 minutes a crack and haven't blown it up yet.  I will admit, however,
that after about 2 hours of use, it started to make funny noises and so I
depotted it (turpentine in a 5 gallon bucket for several days) and built a
plexiglass case and submerged it in oil.  At the same time that I was
repotting it I also found that my hookup was incorrect which was the probable
cause of "funny noises" to begin with.  It has run silently and perfectly
ever since.

As to the prices that Mr. Gowain quoted for the 120ma neons:
<Snip>
He sells two types of 120 Ma Tranies (THats what he calls them).
15 KV for $328
9  KV for $200
<More Snip>

These prices seem a bit on the steep side as I can obtain (2) 15kv 60 ma
neons which in parallel sum to 15kv 120ma for $108.00 each from the local
neon xformer supplier.

If, however, you are willing to pay above $300.00 for a 15kv transformer,
your best bet is Nova Magnetics which quoted me a 15kv 120ma custom
transformer built with extra heavy duty HV insulation and heavier windings
(for cooler operation) to withstand up to 45kv (perfect for a Tesla tank
circuit) at $360.00.  This should be next to indestructible.  Their phone #
is (972) 272-8287. The transformer engineers name is Dave Reeves.

<Snip>
would the higher current/lower voltage be better?
<Snip>

As regards voltage.... my understanding is that raising the voltage (say by
50%) will have a much greater impact on TC output than raising the current by
a similar amount.  This assumes that you have enough current to charge the
cap sufficiently fast.  I'd go with the 15kv trans myself (I actually did).

Have fun and don't blow yourself up ;)

-DavidF-