[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?

Tesla List wrote:

> >From huffman-at-fnal.govSun Nov  3 21:47:06 1996
> Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 09:06:33 -0600
> From: huffman <huffman-at-fnal.gov>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Capacitor charge, were is it?
>
>     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
> Hi Group,
> First I what to thank/compliment Chip for starting and maintaining a great
> forum for these discussions.
> Second I didn't think this topic would bring quit this much discussion. It
> certainly doesn't help a TC operate any better (slightly off topic, sorry
> Chip), but it very fasinating. One last thought in this area.
> If we take an electron source in a vacuum, TC or TV picture tube without
> the front, vacuum tube, etc, and direct the electrons at a conductor (metal
> sphere, screen grid of a tube, what have ya). Doesn't the conductor begin
> to collect the electrons? Where are these extra electrons? Are they moving
> about in the space near the conductors surface?  Are they moving in the
> conductor surface at all? It still seems to me we need both things to store
> charge. That is two materials with different characteristics. Is there
> charge all the way through a dielectric or does it diminish as you go into
> the material? Maybe charge is in the first gnats eyebrow of the conductor.
> I can image all materials as conductors, after all don't we measure the
> leakage current of 'insulators'? They just aren't GOOD conductors.
> Dave Huffman

Dave,
	As far as this subject is concerned about Tesla coils, I
think it is very important. For example, just by examining the
vary nature of how a capacitor works may leed to a very high Q energy
transfer system. Thus, we may obtain those high quantum efficiency's
we all dream of in a Tesla coil.
	Second, you are correct in stating that absolutly everything
conducts electrons to some varying degree. And electrons do travel
along the borders (otherwise known the surface) of certain substances.
And in fact, electrons travel much faster along the surface of a
substance than trough it. The reasons for this are simple, the atoms
deep within a substance are pretty much engaged in the proccess of
bonding, ionic or valence. This tends to occupy the electron clouds
surrounding these atoms. But the atoms on the surface of a substance
are exposed to other possibilities. Like, receiving another electron
and becoming negatively charged or losing an electron and becoming
positively charged.
	I think just the general understanding of how this proccess
works is essentail to how a capacitor works. And possibly, maybe a
better design for a Tesla coil could be developed.

A Mega-coiler Wanna-be
D. Gowin