[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Output Voltage

Re:
"A friend of mine who is an RF engineer has examined some
structures and come to the conclusion that a low Zo is required in
the secondary. That is, a low L/C ratio in the helix itself. That runs
completely counter to what we actually do in these machines (Lo
Zprim, Hi Zsec) with Zsec dragged down by a lumped topload."
	I don't think it is necessarily counter at all.  Consider
the work with large toroidal upper terminals.  For a given frequency
these require lower inductance, hence decreasing the L/C ratio
of the secondary and thus the surge impedance.  With lower surge
impedance LOADED Q and hence kQ is higher, making it easier to
couple and pump a given amount of power into the shunt loss
resistance represented by the discharge we are trying to achieve.
	I think a similar effect occurs with the "magnifier"
configuration.  "When I get time" (if ever) want to calculate
some "T" equivalent circuits for our double-tuned (conventional)
coils and play with some of the parameters.  Think that might
be a convenient and practical arrangement eliminating the primary
as a device which has to be close to the secondary and hence
subject to "strikes".  I further think the difference between a
magnifier and such a T is very small.
Ed Phillips