[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Variac - Case to what?

Quoting Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>:

> I would like to get some feedback as to waht the case of
> variac should be attached to. These are the choices :

> 1) RF ground (I seriously doubt this one)
> 2) House current 'neutral'
> 3) House current ground (The water pipes and such)

Don't use the RF ground. Use a VOM and check for continuity
between house neutral and the water pipe. If you read ~0 ohms
go ahead and ground to the neutral providing your wire diameter
back along the 60 cycle ground path is hunky enough. With my
setup I ran my 100 amp line (three lead #4 copper) to the garage
in 1-1/2 inch electrical metal tubing (EMT conduit) that is
electrically bonded to the breaker box. The 60 cycle neutral, the
EMT, and the water pipe are all commoned at the breaker box.

Note: in my new house they used sealer/teflon tape around the
threads on main water shutoff valve. I noted that the code 60
cycle ground connection to the water pipe is made below the
valve, even though the VOM shows 0 ohms across the valve. I also
bonded a length of bare #4 copper to this point (the clamp was
already there) and ran it up the wall 3 feet and bonded to the
EMT carrying the coil supply mains.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12